Tuesday, August 10, 2004

All Geeked Out

Today was my second sick day. Again, I slept a lot. But in between sleeping episodes, I've been contemplating what I'm going to do about my new home theater room. The plans have been drawn up, and construction should commence soon, so I'm becoming very concerned about what equipment is going into that room and how I'm going to get it there.

My big dilemma is display technology. I used to sell high-end A/V, but DLP and LCoS and LCD displays are all technologies that simply weren't available a few years ago.

With the advent of DLP, especially, the cost of actually installing a projector has become -- dare I say it -- almost reasonable. It's still going to cost a fortune, of course, compared to what normal people would consider sane. The point is that high-end TVs cost nearly the same as high-end projectors, and you avoid the problem of the enormous box. Of course, with LCD and Mitsubishi's new DLP displays, the problem of the big box is all but gone anyway.

Too many choices to make, really. But I'll muddle through.

No comments: